Loading...
 
Stratford (St John), Essex

Stratford (St John)

Stratford (St John)

Location

St John, Stratford is an Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1844 from the northern portion of the Ancient Parish of GB_ESS_West_Ham and is located in the south western corner of Essex.

Stratford is approximately five miles north east of The Tower of London. The City of Chelmsford, the county town of Essex is approximately twenty seven miles to the north east, along the line of the London to Colchester Roman Road. The ancient parish and market town of Barking is five miles to the east and the market town of Romford about nine miles to the east north east.

Parish Church

The Parish (CofE) Church is St John, Stratford and it can be seen here on https://goo.gl/maps/stAwdZYH7nWY1drZA on Google Maps.

Parish Registers

Essex Archives shows a holding of fourteen Registers of Baptism (1834 - 1934), twenty-five Marriage Registers (1844 - 1960) and three Burial Registers (1835 - 1922). For additional detail see https://www.essexarchivesonline.co.uk/ParishRegisters.aspx?selAlphabet=S&selParish=11825&selChurch=12445 (accessed 23 May 2022). Marriages prior to 1844 would have been conducted at the Parish Church of All Saints, West Ham.

Adjacent (Pre 1832) Parishes

As noted above, the Ecclesiastical Parish of St John, Stratford was not create until 1844. Prior to that time the locality was part of the Ancient Parish of West Ham. To the east of West Ham was East Ham. The River Thames formed its southern boundary, with Woolwich (St Mary), Kent, Charlton next Woolwich, Kent and Greenwich, Kent on the opposite bank of the river. To the west, across the River Lee was Bromley, Middlesex more commonly known as Bromley-by-Bow, Stratford Bow St Mary, Middlesex and Hackney, Middlesex. To the north are the Essex parishes of Leyton and Wanstead.

Gleanings from


Contributors to this page: MartinB. .
Page last modified on Friday 27 of May, 2022 12:19:29 CDT by MartinB..