Greene County was formed on 5 November 1833 out of portions of Lawrence County and contained portions of present Clay and Craighead counties. The county was named after Revolutionary War hero Nathanael Greene. The original county seat was in Benjamin Crowley's home. By 1836, when Arkansas became a state, the county seat was located at a settlement called "Paris" (not to be confused with present-day Paris, Arkansas).
In 1848 a national highway was put through and the county seat was moved to the community of Gainesville, Arkansas which had a reputation as a relatively lawless town. The county seat remained there until 1883 when it was moved to the new town of Paragould. The residents of Gainesville opposed the move and it is reported that shots were fired and tempers were high. A new courthouse was built in 1888 and the building still survives in downtown Paragould.
Clay, Craighead, Lawrence and Randolph in Arkansas and Dunklin, Missouri.