Clarke County was created in 1801 by an act of the Georgia General Assembly on December 5, and named in honor of Elijah Clarke, a general during the American Revolution and member of the state assembly. Created by the state legislature in 1801, Clarke had initially been part of Jackson County.
Watkinsville was the original county seat but official offices were moved to Athens in 1871 causing complaints among some citizens. As a result, Oconee County was carved from Clarke County in 1875, once again making Watkinsville a county seat.
Madison, Oglethorpe, Oconee, Barrow and Jackson counties.