Jones Co., GA
Jones County was created effective December 10, 1807 from Baldwin County. Several important Indian trails and trading paths crossed the area, following the flat shoals of the fall line and lower Piedmont. One of these trails, the Lower Creek Trading Path, formed the basis for the Garrison Road, which was completed across the southern part of Jones just before the county was organized. This military thoroughfare would become a segment of the Federal Road linking Washington, D.C., with New Orleans, Louisiana.
In 1807, the year after the county's area was acquired from the Creek Indians, the territory was distributed by land lottery in lots of 202.5 acres, and the county was created by the state legislature. Its name honors James Jones (1769-1801), principal protege of Georgia governor James Jackson.
After the War of 1812 Jones County saw a great influx of westward-bound settlers. By 1820 they had made Jones the most densely populated of Georgia's counties.
Source: New Georgia Encyclopedia
Modern Day Adjacent Counties
Jones County is bordered by Jasper