Montgomery County, GA
Montgomery County, in east central Georgia, is the state's twentieth county. It was created from part of Washington County in 1793 and received additional land from Telfair County in 1812. The county is named for Richard Montgomery, a brigadier general in the Continental army who was killed leading an assault against Quebec in 1775. In 1877 a portion of the county was returned to Telfair, and more of the county's land later went to the creation of Dodge (1870), Emanuel (1812), Tattnall (1801), Toombs (1905), Treutlen (1918), and Wheeler (1912) counties, leaving Montgomery County with its current 245 square miles.
Montgomery County began as a rural county in which inhabitants raised a variety of crops to sustain themselves. They also harvested timber for cash, using local waterways to float the logs to Darien for market. Most people lived in isolated locations because of the difficulty of building roads in the region. The development of towns did not occur until after the Civil War (1861-65), when the wiregrass region was opened up by the arrival of railroads. Large logging companies encouraged this development.
Source: New Georgia Encyclopedia
Modern Day Adjacent Counties
Jeff Davis County