Newton Co., GA
Newton County was created by the Georgia General Assembly on December 24, 1821. It was named for Revolutionary War hero Sergeant John Newton who served under Gen. Francis Marion, the "Swamp Fox", in the American Revolutionary War. It was formed from parts of Henry, Jasper, and Walton Counties. The Creek Indians roamed the land until 1813 when Governor Thorp negotiated a treaty in which the Creeks gave up their claim to the land A decade later the last of the Creek Indians were banished to Oklahoma over the "Trail of Tears."
The first white settlers located in Eastern Newton County in a town then-named Winton. "The Brick Store" was built in 1822 and still stands today. Lack of adequate water caused the settlers to move further west and establish Newtonsboro. The name was later changed to Covington after General Leonard Covington, a hero in the war of 1812.
Modern Day Adjacent Counties
Newton county is bordered by Walton