Thomas County, GA
HistoryThomas County was created by an act of the Georgia General Assembly on December 24, 1825, from portions of Decatur and Irwin counties. Colquitt (1856), Brooks (1858), and Grady (1905) counties all were formed partially from lands within Thomas County's original borders.
The county is named for Jett Thomas, officer in the War of 1812 who is also known for overseeing the construction of the first building at the University of Georgia (originally referred to as Franklin College and known today as Old College) as well as the state capitol at Milledgeville.
Modern Day Adjacent CountiesColquitt County - northeast
Brooks County - east
Jefferson County, Florida - south
Leon County, Florida - southwest
Grady County - west
Mitchell County - northwest