Carisbrooke Castle, IoW, Hampshire
LocationCarisbrooke Castle sits a top a hill adjacent to the village of Carisbrooke in the liberty of West Medina on the Isle of Wight. The church of St Nicholas in Castro is, as the name implies within the Castle's defences. For additional information please see A History of the County of Hampshire: Volume 5 at British History Online
Parish ChurchBeing contained within the castle walls, the Church is St Nicholas in Castro, Carisbrooke, is not visible on Google Street View.
The present building is of relatively modern origins, having been extensively rebuilt in 1904. The role of this church building has changed over the years reflecting the decline of population within the castle and its outlying areas.
Parish RegistersThe Isle Of Wight Record Office offers a comprehensive list at http://www.iwight.com/library/record_office/Types_of_Records/carisbro.asp.
Adjacent (Pre 1832) ParishesThe Castle which includes St Nicholas in Castro is surrounded by the ancient parish of St Mary the Virgin, Carisbrooke.
The parish of St Nicholas in Castro consisted of several detached parts, including lands at Castlehold, Cosham, part of Shide Down and parts of Rowborough and Dodnor, which makes detailing all adjacent parishes not particularly useful.
Please also see St Mary the Virgin, Carisbrooke