LocationChristchurch was a very large ancient parish in what was then the south west of the county of Hampshire on the English Channel coast.
For additional information please see A History of the County of Hampshire: Volume 5 at British History Online.
The modern parish of Christchurch is significantly smaller and following modern boundary changes is now in the County of Dorset.
Parish ChurchThe Parish (CofE) Church is Holy Trinity (Priory), Christchurch, also simply known as Christchurch Priory, which can be found here on Google Street View.
See also the Church's website at http://christchurchpriory.org/.
Parish Registers"A History of the County of Hampshire: Volume 5" (pub 1912) indicates a number of early registers as follows -
There are two early books of registers, the first of which is of paper, and has baptisms from 1584 to 1632, marriages 1578 to 1609 and burials 1641–2. The second book is of vellum, and has baptisms 1635 to 1643, marriages 1634 to 1643, and burials 1634 to 1640.
The first book of the regular series of registers has baptisms and burials from 1682 to 1804 and marriages 1682 to 1762. The next five books have marriages from 1754 to 1767, 1767 to 1779, 1779 to 1803, 1797 to 1812 and 1803 to 1812; the seventh baptisms and burials from 1805 to 1812.
Adjacent (pre 1832) ParishesTo the east Christchurch is bounded by Milton, to the south by the waters of The English Channel and to the south-west by Holdenhurst. To the west are West Parley in Dorset & Hampreston in Dorset and to the north Ringwood, Sopley and an extra-parochial area of the New Forest.
The Ecclesiastical Parish of Hinton Admiral was created from Christchurch Ancient Parish in 1816, but remained part of the civil parish until the 1890's. Likewise the Ecclesiastical Parish of Bransgore was created in 1823 from Christchurch Ancient Parish.