NB Also appears as Chisledon (sic) in many older texts. The modern spelling of Chiseldon
is adopted here.
Chiseldon is an Ancient Parish located in the north east of Wiltshire. The parish is relatively compact and the village of the same name lies near its centre. It is approximately five miles south east of Swindon and seven miles north of Marlborough. Salisbury is about thirty-five miles to the south. The ancient parish of Chisledon includes the villages of Badbury and Hodson.
For additional information please see A History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume 9 at British History Online
The Parish (CofE) Church is Holy Cross, Chiseldon which can be glimpsed behind the trees here on Google Street View.
The Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre http://www.wshc.eu/parish-register-list#C
notes that their archives hold registers covering the following periods
- Christenings 1641-1948,
- Marriages 1641-1999 and
- Burials 1641-1944
Gaps have not been indicated within those covering dates.
Adjacent (Pre 1832) Parishes
To the east of Chiseldon lies Liddington
and to the south east Aldbourne
. Both Ogbourne St George
and Draycot Foliat
are to the south, with Wroughton
to the west. Swindon
is to the north west and Chiseldon has a very short northern boundary with Stratton St Margaret