Mother: Mary Murphy
Birth: 28 Oct 1761, Charles County, Maryland
Birth Source: Trinity Parish Records
Death: 22 Sep 1841, Pickaway County, Ohio
Death Source: Browns Chapel Church & Cemetery, Ross County, Ohio
Spouse1: Elizabeth Davis, m. 23 Dec 1781 in Charles County, Maryland
- Samuel Reeves, b. 28 Nov 1784, Maryland, d. 18 Nov 1832, Pickaway County, Ohio
- Pencelia Reeves, b. 19 Feb 1785, Charles County, Maryland, d. 28 Oct 1835
- Mary Ann Reeves, b. 27 Nov 1786, Virginia, d. 16 Apr 1833
- Thomas Turner Reeves, b. 6 Feb 1789, Virginia, d. 5 Sep 1871, Madison County, Ohio
- Elizabeth Reeves, b. 1 Jan 1791, Virginia, d. 8 Sep 1834
- Owen Thornton Reeves, b. 1 Mar 1793, Virginia, d. 9 Jul 1862, Chillicothe, Ohio, m. Mary Huffman Mouser
- Sophia Reeves, b. 17 Apr 1795, Virginia, d. 25 Aug 1824
- William Reeves, b. May 10, 1797, Virginia, d. 13 Jul 1876, McLean County, Illinois
- Jane Reeves, b. 4 Oct 1799, Virginia, d. unknown
- Mary Murphy Reeves, b. 15 Apr 1802, Virginia, d. unknown
- Josiah Reeves. Jr., b. 2 Sep 1804, Ohio, d. unknown
- Jared Davis Reeves, b. 27 Jan 1806, Ohio, d. unknown
- James Davidson Reeves, b. 11 May 1810, Ohio, d. unknown
Josias served in the Revolutionary War. His name is published in the D.A.R. Roster of Revolutionary Soldiers Buried in Ohio.
Josias Reeves' obituary, as published in the Scioto Gazette, Chillicothe, Ohio, and reprinted in the Ohio State Journal, Columbus, on October 6, 1841, reads as follows:
''At his residence in Pickaway County, Ohio, on the 22nd day of September, Mr. Josias Reeves, Senr. a soldier of the War of Independence, in the 81st year of his age. Mr. Reeves was born in Charles County in the colony of Maryland and in October 1760 O.S. and after the the Revolution settled in Culpeper County, Virginia, when he emigrated to the state of Ohio in 1804.
The writer of ths has heard him say that he was never in debt at any time, five dollars - never had a lawsuit of any kind, either as plaintiff or defendant. He lived as far as possible, peaceably with all men and 'owing no man anything'.
He left an aged widow with whom he lived for sixty years, and many descendants who hold his memory in grateful remembrance. Mr. Reeves was for thirty-seven years a member of the Methodist Church.''
Josias Reeves Family Record compiled by his son William Milton Reeves which was filed among the DAR Bible records. Some of the dates differ from what is listed above. This needs more research.
Howsman Family research
Yates Family in Ohio
Trinity Parish Birth Records, Charles County, Maryland