Reeves, Samuel P.
SummaryFather: Frederick Reeves
Mother: Elizabeth Thompson
Birth: c1801, York County, South Carolina
Birth Source: York County Probate Records of Frederick Reeves Estate and age approximate from census
Death: before 1850, Obion County, Tennessee
Spouse1: Jane Huber
NarrativeChildren of Samuel Reeves and Jane Huber:
- Elizabeth Reeves, b. 1 Jul 1822
- James Reeves, b. 1827
- Agnes Reeves, b. 1838, m. William P. Brown m. 5 Nov 1847
- William Reeves, b. 1830 (probable son), m. Susan Gamson
- Caroline Reeves, b. 1834
- Lafayette Reeves, b. 1835, m. Patience F. M. P. Axum m. 4 Feb 1857 in Obion County TN
Several of the sons of Frederick Reeves who died in York County, South Carolina in 1820, James, Hiram and Samuel, appear to have left South Carolina shortly after the 1830 US Census and migrated to Obion County, Tennessee. By 1840 the same three Reeves' individuals are recorded in Obion County, Tennessee in that census and again in 1850. By the 1850 census Samuel Reeves appears to have died and his wife Jane is listed as the head of household. By the 1870 census, Jane Reeves was living in the home of her son-in-law William P. Brown.
From the Minutes of Obion County, Tennessee Court of Pleas & Quarter Sessions:
- July Court 1834 - Samuel Reeves came into Court and moved the killing of two wolves over four months old within the limits of this County by the oath of Urias Reeves, it is therefore ordered by the Court, five acting Justices present, that he received of the Treasurer of West Tennessee according to Law. (Issued)
- January Court 1835 - Samuel Reeves this day produced in open court one wolf scalp over four months old, and proved by his own oath the killing of the same within the limits of this court, five acting Justices being present, that he be allowed agreeable to the Statutes, in such cases made and provided, and that the Treasurer pay the same out of any monies in his hands not otherwise appropriated.
SourcesProbate of Estate of Frederick Reeves, York County, South Carolina
Minutes of Court of Obion County, Tennessee
1830 Census - York County, South Carolina
1840 Census - Obion County, Tennessee
1850 Census - Obion County, Tennessee (HOH - Jane Reeve, widow)
Tennessee, County Marriages, 1790-1950, Family Search