Mother: Mrs. Sarah (Williamson) Collier
Birth: 28 Sep 1818, Virginia
Death: 30 Sep 1895, High Street, Norfolk, Virginia
Death Source: Obituary/Memorial stone
Spouse1: Ann Paton Pollard
- George Edwin Rives, b. 11 Nov 1843 (or 1842)
- Anna Peyton Rives, b. 16 Aug 1844 (or 1843), d. 29 Mar 1925
- Mary Louisa Rives, b. 31 Dec 1845, d. 30 Jun 1915
- Hetty Everlina Rives, b. 2 Sep 1849, m. Robert E. Bland
- Arthur Williamson Rives, b. 22 Nov 1850
- Andrew Pollard Rives, b. 18 Nov 1852
- Marion Poindexter Rives, b. 17 May 1854
- Ruth Rives, b. 12 Jan 1856, m. Joseph Roper Johnson
- Herbert A. Rives, b. 22 Sep 1857, d. 22 Jan 1886
- John Hicks Rives, b. 20 Feb 1859
- Thomas Stanley Rives, b. 21 Aug 1860, d. 1862
- Addie Aurelia Rives, b. 25 Jan 1864, d. 1865
From Reliques of the Rives:
Rev. George Rives was graduated in law and practiced for a time with his half-brother, Robert Collier, in Petersburg, Virginia, having been admitted to the Virginia bar in 1841.1 His health failing, George Rives moved to Sussex county, where he bought a farm adjoining the old Rives' homestead occupied by his half-brother, John Eldridge Rives. Subsequently he entered the ministry of the Methodist Church, South, and served pastorates in the Virginia Conference. Rev. George Rives, who was born in 1818, married in September, 1841, Ann, daughter of John and Ann (Morris) Pollard, of Petersburg, Virginia, and died September 30, 1895.
Norfolk Virginian, 1 Oct 1895
Rev. George Rives died about 1 o'clock this afternoon at the residence of his son-in-law, Captain Robert Bland on High street. The deceased was a native of Sussex county and 78 years of age. He came to Petersburg from Norfolk, where he at one time resided. Shortly after the war he was engaged in the commission business here, the style of the firm being Roger, Jarratt & Rives. He leaves five sons and four daughters. They are Rev. George Rives of Richmond; Mressrs. Hich and Poindexter Rives, of Norfolk; Messrs. Arthur and Andrew Rives, who reside in one of the adjoining counties; Mrs. Robert Bland of Petersburg; Mrs. Rosser Johnson, of Prince George county, and Misses Anne and Len Rives, of this city. The deceased was an uncle of Hon. Charles F. Collier, Mayor of this place.
His mother, age 70, was living with them in 1850.
A Pollard Family Memorial stone in the Blandford Cemetery states George was born 28 Sep 1818 and died 30 Sep 1895.
1850 Census: Sussex County, Virginia
1860 Census: Sussex County, Virginia
1870 Census: Sussex County, Virginia
Childs, James Rives. Reliques of the Rives, p447