Berkeley County was established in 1682. It was named after John and William Berkeley, co-owners of the Province of Carolina. It became part of the Charleston District in 1769. It did not exist as a District during most of the 19th century and generally was part of the Low Country culture. In 1882, following Democrats' regaining control of the state legislature after the Reconstruction era, they established this as a county, with its seat at Mount Pleasant. The county seat was moved in 1895 to Moncks Corner.