Chesterfield County, SC
Chesterfield County was supposedly named for the English statesman Lord Chesterfield; however, local tradition states that the Craig family, who originally inhabited the county seat, was influential in naming the county after the county from which they came, Chesterfield County, Virginia. The oldest town in the county is Cheraw, which was settled around 1748. The county was formed in 1785 and was part of the larger Cheraws District until 1800, at which time Chesterfield became a district.
Welsh settlers from Pennsylvania and Delaware moved into this region in the mid-eighteenth century, and they were later joined by Scots-Irish and English. Cheraw was a center for transportation along the Great Pee Dee River.
General Sherman's troops passed through this area during the Civil War, briefly occupying the towns of Cheraw and Chesterfield.
Source - Chesterfield County, South Carolina at Carolana.com
Modern Day Adjacent Counties
Chesterfield County is bordered by Marlboro
counties in addition to North Carolina counties Union