Colleton County, SC
Colleton County was named for one of the Lords Proprietors, Sir John Colleton (1608-1666). The county was first created in 1682 under the proprietary government, but the designation was seldom used in the colonial period. Instead, the area was known by its parish names: St. Bartholomew, St. Paul, and St. George Dorchester. In 1769 these parishes became part of Charleston District, where they remained until Colleton District was formed in 1800. A portion of the county was removed in 1897 to form Dorchester County.
Several Revolutionary War skirmishes took place in Colleton County, and the state legislature met in the town of Jacksonboro in 1782 while Charleston was occupied by the British. This part of the low country was known for its extensive rice and cotton plantations.
Source - South Carolina State Library
Modern Day Adjacent Counties
Colleton is bordered by Orangeburg