Maury County, TN
The county was formed in 1807 from Williamson County and Indian lands. The Cherokee Indian title was bought at Washington, D.C., on January 7, 1806, for $10,000 and $100 per year annuity paid to "Old Black Fox," who surrendered all claims to lands stretching from Duck River to Alabama. What is now Maury had been part of that Middle Basin land that the Cherokees, Chickasaws, and sometimes Shawnees and Northern tribes, claimed as their own preserve, defending against trespass by all others.
On November 24, 1807, an Act passed at Knoxville created Maury County from Williamson. Maury originally comprised all of Giles, most of Lewis and Marshall, and portions of Bedford, Hickman and Lawrence Counties. Maury County was named in honor of Maj. Abram P. Maury of Williamson County, who was a member of the Tennessee legislature and an officer under General Andrew Jackson in the War of 1812.
Modern Day Adjacent Counties
Maury County is bordered by Williamson