Buckingham Co., VA
Buckingham was established in 1761 from the southeastern portion of Albemarle County. In 1778 a small triangular area bordering the James River was given to Cumberland County, and in 1845, another part was taken to form the northern portion of Appomattox County. Buckingham lies south of the James River.
Modern Day Adjacent Counties
Prince Edward County
Source: "Buckingham County, Virginia", http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckingham_County