Shortly after Jamestown was settled in 1607, Sir Thomas Dale founded the town of Henricus (Henrico) some eighty miles upriver. It was to include a college to educate the Indians, as well as the children of the settlers. Located just southeast of modern day Richmond, it later became part of Henrico Shire, renamed Henrico County in 1634. In 1749, the portion of Henrico County that lay south of the James River was detached to form Chesterfield County. Today, the area where Henricus was situated is known as Farrar's Island.
Henricus Citie was finished in 1619, along with nearby Falling Creek Ironworks. The city and the ironworks were destroyed during the Indian attack of March 22, 1622, and never rebuilt.
Independent City of Richmond
Charles City County
Independent City of Hopewell
Prince George County
Independent City of Colonial Heights
Independent City of Petersburg