Cumberland County, VA
HistoryCumberland County was established in 1749 from Goochland County. The county is named for William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland, second son of King George II of Great Britain. Cumberland County was also home to the Fleming family, which included Judge John Fleming and his son Judge William Fleming.
From 1749 until the eastern portion was detached to form Powhatan County in 1777, Mosby Tavern served as the county courthouse. The tavern subsequently became known as "Old Cumberland Courthouse." In 1778 the narrow triangular area bordering the southern bank of the James River was annexed from Buckingham County.
Modern Day Adjacent CountiesGoochland County – northeast
Powhatan County – east
Amelia County – southeast
Prince Edward County – south
Buckingham County – west
Fluvanna County – northwest