Elizabeth City was one of the four "cities" or incorporations established by the Virginia Colony in 1607. First named Kikotan (Kecoughtan/Kikowtan), it incorporated a territory nearly identical with Elizabeth City and Warwick counties, extending perhaps northward along the James River as far as Skiffe's Creek and along the York as far as the Poquoson River.
In 1634 it became one of the original shires and given territory extending on both sides of Hampton Roads. In 1637, the south side of the county was cut off and made into Norfolk County (now extinct). Elizabeth City County merged into the independent City of Hampton in 1952 and ceased to exist.
Poquoson (independent city)
Norfolk (independent city)
Newport News (independent city)
Portsmouth (independent city)