The area that became Gloucester County was initially part of Charles River Shire, renamed York County in 1642. Patents were issued in the area as early as 1639, but it was not until after 1644 that it was considered safe for settlement. Gloucester was formed from York County in 1651 and consisted of four parishes: Abington, Kinston, Petsworth and Ware. Kingston Parish became Mathews County in 1791.
Source: "Gloucester County, Virginia", http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloucester_County,_Virginia.
James City County
King and Queen County
Table of contents: