James City was the oldest of the four ancient boroughs or incorporations - James City, Elizabeth City, Charles City and Henrico - which along with the Eastern Shore composed the colony in 1624. The early corporation was succeeded in 1634 by James City County, one of eight original shires into which Virginia was divided. As constituted, the county was bounded on three sides by Warrosquyoake (later Isle of Wight) Warwick River (later Warwick) and Charles River (later York) and Charles City. The southwest extended indefinitely until the formation of Surry County in 1652.
King and Queen
Williamsburg (Independent City)
Newport News (Independent City)