Between the yeas 1651, when Gloucester was first mentioned as a county, and November 20, 1654, when the Virginia Assembly ordered that the County of New Kent be formed, all the area west of Poropotank Creek in what is now King and Queen County was, for those years a part of Gloucester. Lands granted in the present King and Queen between 1651 and 1654 are described in the patent book as lying in Gloucester County. For this reason many names have been erroneously included in lists of landowners in the present area of Gloucester.
King and Queen County was formally established in 1691 from New Kent County. At the time of its formation Stratton Major Parish, St. Stephen's Parish (created from Stratton Major) and St. John's Parish (created from Blisland Parish) fell into King and Queen County.
Source: Beverley Fleet, Virginia Colonial Abstracts, Genealogical Publishing Co., Baltimore (1988), p. 463, www.ancestry.com.
Modern Day Adjacent Counties
James City County
New Kent County
King William County