The exact date of the first settlement made by white people in the limits of Butler County is not exactly known. Some records have it as early as 1814, but the earliest settler of no dispute is James K. Benson, who settled in the Flat in 1815, and built the first house ever erected in Butler County. It was built near where Pine Flat Methodist Church now stands, and was made of logs. Shortly after, William Ogly and John Dickerson came with their families and made a settlement on the Federal Road, about 3 miles (5 km) south of where Fort Dale was later erected. In the fall of 1816, a party from the state of Georgia came to settle in Pine Flat, including Thomas Hill, Warren A. Thompson, Captain John Watts, and Benjamin Hill. In 1817, many more settlers arrived.
The courthouse burned in April of 1853, making research in this county very difficult.
Sources: Wikipedia, FamilySearch Wiki
Lowndes County (north)
Crenshaw County (east)
Covington County (southeast)
Conecuh County (southwest)
Monroe County (west)
Wilcox County (northwest)