For hundreds of years preceding the permanent white settlements in what is now Gwinnett County, the Creek and Cherokee Indians occupied the land. In 1789 and 1790 the Cherokee Indians ceded to the United States Government all lands north and east of a line running through Kentucky, Tennessee, North and South Carolinas and north Georgia, including portions of Gwinnett.
Two of the earliest white settlements were on the Appalachee River near Hog Mountain, and Old Town Suwanee, once a thriving Indian village on the Chattachoochee River, just north of the mouth of Suwanee Creek. Most early families located in the area between Hog Mountain and Jug Tavern (now Winder), between the Mulberry and Appalachee Rivers.
In the beginning of the War of 1812 it was decided a fort was needed to protect the settlers of this far western frontier. Fort Daniel was located on a hill near the crossroads of the Hog Mountain Community, and brought even more trade and commerce to this early Gwinnett settlement. The county of Gwinnett was created in 1818, with it's western boundary being the Appalachee River. A few days later part of Jackson County was added to Gwinnett.
Forsyth, Hall, Jackson, Barrow, Walton, DeKalb, Rockdale and Fulton counties.