Veterans of the Revolutionary War, arriving in 1784 just after the Franklin County land cession, were among the first white settlers of the county. The first permanent settlement was Groaning Rock, established in 1784 on land owned by William Dunson, a settler from Germany.
The first county courthouse, a log and wooden frame building with an attached jail, was built on the south side of the public square; a second, larger, two-story brick courthouse with a separate jailhouse was built in 1817.
Sources: Wikipedia and New Georgia Encyclopedia
Banks, Madison, Clarke, Oconee, Gwinnett, Barrow and Hall counties.