Loading...
 
West Ham, Essex

West Ham

West Ham

Location

West Ham is an Ancient Parish located in the south western corner of Essex. The Ecclesiastical Parishes of St John, Stratford and St Mary, Plaistow were created out of the Ancient Parish in 1844.

West Ham is approximately five miles east north east of The Tower of London. The City of Chelmsford, the county town of Essex is approximately twenty seven miles to the north east, along the line of the London to Colchester Roman Road. The ancient parish and market town of Barking is seven miles to the east and the market town of Romford about nine miles to the east north east.

Parish Church

The Parish (CofE) Church is All Saints, West Ham and it can be seen here on on Google Maps.

Parish Registers

Essex Archives shows a holding of twenty-three Registers of Baptism (1653 - 1970), sixty-one Marriage Registers (1653 - 1981) and nine Burial Registers (1653 - 1876). For additional detail see https://www.essexarchivesonline.co.uk/ParishRegisters.aspx?selAlphabet=W&selParish=29&selChurch=44 (accessed 25 May 2022).

Adjacent (Pre 1832) Parishes

To the east of West Ham is East Ham. The River Thames formed its southern boundary, with Woolwich (St Mary), Kent, Charlton next Woolwich, Kent and Greenwich, Kent on the opposite bank of the river. To the west, across the River Lee was Bromley, Middlesex more commonly known as Bromley-by-Bow, Stratford Bow St Mary, Middlesex and Hackney, Middlesex. To the north are the Essex parishes of Leyton and Wanstead.

In 1844 the Ecclesiastical Parish of St John, Stratford was created from the north western portion of the Ancient Parish and the Ecclesiastical Parish of St Mary, Plaistow from the south eastern portion of the Ancient Parish.

Gleanings from


Contributors to this page: MartinB. .
Page last modified on Friday 27 of May, 2022 12:17:40 CDT by MartinB..