St Mary Extra was formed from a Chapelry of the Parish of St Mary around 1714. It sits on the eastern bank of the River Itchen across from the old town of Southampton.
Adjacent (pre 1832) Parishes
St Mary Extra is bounded to the east by the Parish of Hound
, to the south by Southampton Water to the west by the River Itchen, with St Mary, Southampton
on the opposite bank, and to the north by South Stoneham
and a detached portion of the aforementioned Hound