South Stoneham, Hampshire
LocationThere is no village of South Stoneham, rather this extensive parish embraced an number of tythings including Allington, Barton, Pollack, Shamblehurst and Portswood. It extended north east for nearly six miles from the edge of the Southampton parishes towards Eastleigh along the valley of the River Itchen.
For additional information please see A History of the County of Hampshire: Volume 3 at British History Online
Parish ChurchThe Parish (CofE) Church of St Mary, South Stoneham lies to near the village of Swaythling, which can be found here on Google Street View
Parish Registers"A History of the County of Hampshire Volume 3" (pub 1908) notes a number of early registers -
(1) all entries 1663-1713, (2) the same to 1754, (3) baptism and burials to 1793, (4) likewise to 1812, (5) & (6) marriages from 1754 to 1812
Adjacent (pre 1832) ParishesTo the north east of South Stoneham is the parish of Bishopstoke, to the east Botley, to the south are Hound and the Southampton parishes of St Mary Extra and St Mary, to the west is the Southampton parish of SS Lawrence and John and North Stoneham is to the north west.
The West End was created out of South Stoneham as an ecclesiastical parish in 1840.
The Portswood was created out of South Stoneham as an ecclesiastical parish in 1847.