The village of Downton is approximately 6 miles south of Salisbury. It straddles the River Avon just outside the New Forest National Park. For additional information please see A History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume 11 at British History Online.
The ancient parish extends to include both Redlynch, which became a parish in its own right in 1838 and Charlton in 1851 as well as a number of smaller settlements.
The Parish (CofE) Church is St. Laurence, Downton, which can be found here on Google Street View
. The church has its own website at http://www.stlaurencedownton.co.uk
Adjacent (pre 1832) Parishes
To the east the ancient parish of Downton was bounded by Whiteparish
and the extra-parochial area of Langley Wood and Landford
, to the south east by the extra-parochial area of No Man's Land and Bramshaw, HAM
, to the south by the extra-parochial area of the New Forest, to the south west by Breamore, HAM
, to the north west by Odstock
and to the north by Britford