The first County Seat was located at Burlington. The locating commissioners had selected this site March 10, 1821, and Thomas Bradford, Frederick Shepherd and Zebulon Hogue had donated the land. It became necessary to relocate in 1824 for the reason that an adequate supply of water was not obtainable at this point...
Peter C. Van Slyke, a wealthy landowner, offered to donate the land for the location of a County Seat, which the commissioners accepted, and Bloomfield came into being. The first sale of lots was set for April 22, 1824, and a log Court House built that summer of "hewed logs, 26 by 20 feet, one story and a half high, with one door and one window, with twelve lights in it (8 by 16) in the lower story, with a good poplar plank floor ... to be covered with shingles" was in use; by 1849 the town of Bloomfield had a population of about 200 inhabitants.
According to the Society of Indiana Pioneers, an individual was a pioneer of Greene County if they resided there on or before December 31, 1830.
Clay, Owen, Monroe, Lawrence, Martin, Daviess, Knox and Sullivan counties.