McCracken Co., KY
HistoryMcCracken County, located in the extreme western part of the state, was one of the earliest counties of the territory known as Jackson's Purchase. It was established out of part of Hickman County in 1824, and named in honor of Captain Virgil McCracken. Before the white man made claim to the land known as the Jackson Purchase it was owned by the Chickasaw Indian Nation. This area was part of the Chickasaw Nations vast hunting grounds.
McCracken, the 78th county formed in the state, was organized January 17, 1825 and contained 237 square miles.
Modern Day Adjacent CounitesMcCracken County is bounded on the north by Massac County, Illinois across the Ohio River, in the northeast by the Tennessee River, which separates it from Livingston County, in the southeast by Marshall County, in the south by Graves County, in the west by Ballard County and Carlisle County to the southwest.