Sarecta, a town established by McCulloch, became the first town in Duplin in 1787. The Scottish and Swiss formed some of the early communities, and they settled near the Goshen Swamp and Golden Grove; Kenansville grew out of the original settlement at Golden Grove. The state’s first Presbyterians formed the first congregation in 1736, and they were known as the Grove church. Interestingly, the church remains active in Duplin to this very day.
Source: North Carolina History Project
Wayne County in the north, Lenoir on the northeast, Jones on the east, Onslow to the southeast, Pender on the south and Sampson the west.