SummaryFather: John Reaves, Sr.
Mother: Catherine Duncan
Birth: 1810, Wayne County, North Carolina
Birth Source: Will of John Reaves
Death: c1876, Hardeman County, Tennessee
Spouse1: Charlotte Pope McKinne, c 1838
NarrativeEdmund Reaves moved around 1837, with several relatives and Wayne County neighbors, to Hardeman County, Tennessee where in 1838, he married Charlotte Pope McKinne, also originally from Wayne County, North Carolina. Only he and his wife are listed on the 1840 census.
In Tennessee, Edmund Reaves became a successful planter. In the 1860 census, his land was valued at $27,000 and his personal worth was listed as $50,000. He also ran a store in Middleton, Tennessee.
Edmund Reaves and Charlotte McKinne had the following children:
- William H. Reaves, b. 1842, d. 1862, Died in the Civil War
- Edmund David Reaves, b. 1844, d. 1861, Died in the Civil War
- Mary Jane "Mollie" Reaves, b. 1848, d. 1868 in childbirth
- John Rufus Reaves, b. 1850, d. 1933
- Robert A. Reaves, b. 1853
SourcesThe Reaves Family Papers at UNC
1840 Census - Hardeman County, Tennessee
1850 Census - Hardeman County, Tennessee
1860 Census - Hardeman County, Tennessee