Mother: Matilda REEVES/Reed
Birth: 1883 in Southampton
Birth Source: FreeBMD and Baptism
Death Source: FreeBMD
Spouse1: William Robert SEVIER
Spouse2: Thomas G HOUNSELL
On the 1891 census Alice appears in her parent's household at 21 Longcroft Street, Southampton. She is 8 years old, was born in Southampton and is a Scholar.
By the time of the 1901 census Alice, like all her older siblings have left the family home to find employment. It is likely she is the individual working as a General Domestic Servant in the household of Frederick and Laura LISLE at Alexandria Road, Shirley, Southampton. She is 18 years old, single and claims birth in Southampton.
Alice REEVES married William Robert SEVIER in September 1907 at the Registry Office in Southampton. Their marriage certificate shows Alice's father as Samuel Reeves, a Boilermaker. Of the three witness, only one, Sidney Henry SEVIER, the groom's brother, has been identified.
The known children of William Robert SEVIER and Alice (nee REEVES) are
- Gladys SEVIER, born August 1906
- Sydney George SEVIER. born August 1910
- Harry SEVIER, born October 1912
- Florence E SEVIER, b.reg. 1916, d.reg. 1926
- Alice Matilda SEVIER, born March 1919
Alice's husband William SEVIER died in 1927. During the first quarter of 1930, FreeBMD notes the marriage of Alice SEVIER and Thomas G HOUNSELL in the Southampton Registration District. There are no known children of this marriage.
FreeBMD records the death of Alice HOUNSELL during the third quarter of 1961 in the Winchester Registration District, age 78.
(3) Oral family tradition, confirmed by the release of the 1911 census in 2012, indicated that Samuel and Matilda had thirteen children. However, prior to November 2016 the identities of only twelve children were known to family researchers. It transpires the missing child, now known to be Ellen Matilda Reeves, was their eldest. This has necessitated the renumbering the remaining 12 children.
Baptism: Register (1/16) of Baptisms for St Mary Parish, page 263 entry 2100
Marriage1: Marriage Certificate and
FreeBMD 1907, September quarter, Southampton Registration District
Marriage2: FreeBMD 1930, March quarter, Southampton Registration District
Death: FreeBMD 1961, September quarter, Winchester Registration District
1891 Census: RG12, Piece 919, Folio 60 face, Page 13
1901 Census: RG13, Piece 1074, Folio 114 face, Page 27
1911 Census: RG14, Piece 6012, Reg.Dist. 99 (Southampton), Sub Dist. 2 (Southampton Western), Enum.Dist. 24, Schedule 270