Mother: Hannah mnu
Birth: c March 1788
Birth Source: baptism
Spouse1: no known marriage
Nothing further is currently known of her early life.
On the 1841 census taken on 6 June, Caroline is enumerated on her own, but she shares the same dwelling as James Russell, his wife Ann(e) (nee Penton) and their daughter Sarah (aged 4). Caroline is recorded as being 50 years old, having been born in county (Hampshire). She is of independent means.
At the time of the 1851 census, on 30 March, Caroline is a member of the household of the now widowed James Russell with his daughter Sarah (14) and his son Charles (8). Her age is noted as 60 and she is unmarried, with her occupation shown as House Keeper. Her place of birth as simply Tytherly (sic) rather than West or East Tytherley. Her relationship to the head of household is given as Aunt, which fits with the fact that James' parents were James RUSSELL and Sophia (nee REEVES) who was Caroline's sister.
Caroline has not be found on the 1861 census and FreeBMD has a probable death registration in the Stockbridge Registration District in 1859. Do you have a copy of this death registration?
FamilySearch Batch C15502-1. However, they differ on the date for two of these seven baptisms. In one instance by ten days, 6 November -v- 16 November, in the case of Jenny JARRETT. In the case of our current subject, Caroline Reeves, the discrepancy is between 15 March and 10 May. Of the entries in the HGS Index, Caroline's is the only one of the seven annotated as being a Private Baptism.
For the preceding three year period (1785-87) HGS reports 28 entries at East Tytherley, whilst FamilySearch only 25 from the Batch C15502-1.
- Both report the baptism of Charles Reeves on 11Jan1784, with HGS noting it was a Private Baptism.
- Both report the baptism of Harriet Waterman on 08Feb1784.
- Both report the baptism of Sarah Fay 02May1784, with HGS noting it was a Private Baptism.
- HGS has an additional entry for Sarah Fay on 11Jul1784, noting she was "recd" - received into the church.
- HGS has an additional entry for Harriet Waterman on 21Sep1784, noting she was "recd".
- Both report the baptism of Sophia Reeves on 08Feb1786, with HGS noting it was a Private Baptism.
- HGS has an entry for John Hayter baptised on 16Apr1786, which seems not to appear in FS batch C15502-1.
- Both report the baptism of Charles Reeves on 30May1786, with HGS noting he was "bp & recd"
- Both report the baptism of Sophia Reeves on 30May1786, with HGS noting she was "bp & recd"
- Both report the baptism of Henry Whitlock on 24Jul 1786, with HGS noting "adult bp at own request".
- Both report the baptism of Jenny Waterman on 27Aug1786 daughter of Mary Waterman, with HGS additionally noting "widow".
Baptism: FamilySearch notes baptism on 10 May 1788 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JQXG-7B4
HGS Baptism Indices note privately baptised in March 1788 and subsequently received in May 1790
Death: FreeBMD 3q1859, Stockbridge Reg Dist - tbc
1841 Census: HO107, Piece 0384, Book 17, Folio 18 face, Page 30
1851 Census: HO107, Piece 1672, Folio 143 reverse, Page 5