Mother: Sarah Wright
Birth: 1 Jun 1803, South Carolina
Birth Source: Grave, Reeves Cemetery, Meriwether Co., GA
Death: Jan 1850, Meriwether County, Georgia
Death Source: US Federal Census Mortality Schedule, and Grave
Spouse1: Sarah M. Jossey, m. 10 Dec 1829 in Wilkes County, Georgia.
- Henry J. Reeves, b. 1831, GA, died 7 February 1859, Spalding Co., GA. His tombstone identifies his parents but mentions no spouse, indicating that he probably died unmarried.
- Abner Reeves, b. 1832, GA. He may be the Abner Reeves who married Missouri Pope on 20 April 1852, Pike Co., GA, and was enumerated in Drew Co., AR, in 1860. If so, he was killed 17 July 1862 in Richmond, VA.
- Sarah Catherine Reeves, b. 21 April 1833, GA, d. 24 May 1887, Drew Co., AR. She was a minor in 1852. She married Dr. Jenkins DeVaney Pope on 8 February 1853 in Spalding Co., GA. They were living in Drew Co., AR, in 1860. Dr. Pope appeared as a widower in the 1900 Drew Co., AR, census.
- Reeves Infant, b. 21 January 1836, d. 11 July 1837, Meriwether Co., GA
- Hulda Pope Reeves, b. April 1837, GA, d. 1 August 1857, Meriwether Co., GA, m. 26 February 1856, Spalding Co., GA, Samuel W. Mangham.
- William Reeves, b. 1840, GA.
- Harriet L. Reeves, b. 1842, GA, d. 28 September 1893, Spalding Co., GA, m. Samuel W. Mangham.
- Mary Rowena "Roe" Reeves, b. 1844, GA, d. 31 August 1913, Spalding Co., GA. She married Pitt Milner Brown on 1 November 1862 in Spalding Co., GA.
- John A. S. Reeves, b. 21 July 1846, d. 28 March 1850, Meriwether Co., GA.
- Clark T. Reeves, b. 29 September 1848, d. 14 March 1850, Meriwether Co., GA.
The will of Henry Jossey written 25 Apr 1837 and probated in Meriwether County, Georgia (WB A, Pg 21-25) names Sarah M. Reeves, formerly Sarah M. Jossey as a legatee. Sarah M. Jossey Reeves, born 26 September 1812 and died 14 January 1892, is buried with several family members in Oak Hill Cemetery, Griffin, Spalding Co., GA. She was enumerated as a widow in Meriwether Co., GA, in 1850 with property valued at $24,000.
The commission to divide the slaves belonging to the estate of William Reeves is found in Meriwether Co., GA, Annual Returns Book 1852-1856, pp. 168-169. The document states that "There being eight distributees to the said Estate, to wit, Sarah M. Reeves, widow of the deceased; Henry J. Reeves, son of the dec'd of full age; Abner Reeves, son of the dec'd of full age; William J. Josey, guardian of Sarah C. Reeves, minor heir of the said deceased; John H. Josey, guardian of Hulda P. Reeves, minor heir of the said deceased; John A. Simonton, guardian of Harriet L. and Mary R. Reeves, minor heirs of the said deceased; Myron Ellis, guardian of William Reeves, son of the deceased." The document dated 20 December 1852 also identifies the slaves each heir received.
Spalding Co., GA, Vouchers Book 1, pp. 46, 50, 120, 188, 189, shows that between 1854 and 1856 John H. Jossey was guardian for Hulda Pope Reeves. She was apparently living in Monroe Co., GA, in 1854. The return identifies her as a minor daughter of William Reeves, deceased. Tyre Reeves and H. J. Reeves were identified as administrators of William Reeves. The vouchers indicate that she was a student at Synodial Female College, which may explain why she was not enumerated with the family in 1850. At the time of the 1850 census, Sarah Reeves and Hulda Reeves were enumerated in HH 1333, Pike Co., GA, in the household of John H. Jossey.
"Marriages and Death Notices -Griffin Ga. Weekly News 1882-1896"
Page 219: issue of 15 Jan 1892:
Mrs. Sarah M. Reeves, an old and respected lady well known in this community, died yesterday evening at 6 o'clock in her 80th yr. She leaves a number of relatives to morn her loss. The funeral will take place this afternoon from Methodist Church. She was raised in Meriwether Co., and had been a resident of this city for more than 40 years. She leaves 2 daughters, Mrs. M. R. Brown and Mrs. S.W. Manghum.
An article in The Meriwether Vendicator about the pioneers of Meriwether County, Georgia published in an issue of 13 Jan 1905 had the following information regarding some of the probable children of Abner Reeves:
William Reeves, resident of Alabama, Judge Thom. A. Reeves of Florida and Hon. Madison Reeves of LaGrange, all deceased, were sons of Asa Reeves. His brothers were the late Hon. Tyre Reeves and William Reeves, of this county, and Abner Reeves of Mississippi, also deceased.
US Federal Census Mortality Schedules
1840 Census - Meriwether County, Georgia
1850 Census - Meriwether County, Georgia, HH 1143 - Sarah M. Reeves (HOH).
1860 Census - Spalding County, Georgia - Sarah E. Reeves (HOH)
1870 Census - Spalding County, Georgia - S. M. Mangham (HOH)
Meriwether Co., GA, Return Book F, pp. 84, 246, 445.
Meriwether Co., GA, Return Book F, pp. 140, 271, 515.
Meriwether Co., GA, Estate Records:
Spalding Co., GA, Estate Records: