Abbeville County was formed in 1785 as part of the Ninety Six District. It remained in the Ninety Six District until 1798 when South Carolina abolished the overarching judicial districts and adopted the county system, although the state used the term "districts". In 1868 the term "districts" was discontinued and Abbeville District became Abbeville County.
Parts of Abbeville were taken to form Greenwood (1897) and McCormick (1916). The county seat is the town of Abbeville.
Greenville, Anderson, Laurens, Greenwood and McCormick counties, as well as the Georgia county of Elbert