Pendleton County was created on 7 March 1789 in the former Indian lands. It included the current Anderson and Pickens counties and all but about 70 square miles (180 km2) along the Chattooga River of Oconee County. The land along the Chattooga belonged the Cherokee and Creek peoples. Pendleton County was attached to Abbeville.
On 19 February 1791, Pendleton County became part of the new Washington District, which also included most of Greenville County. On 1 January 1800, Washington District was disbanded. Pendleton County and Greenville County were renamed as districts.
On 19 December 1816, Pendleton District gained the Indian lands along the Chattooga. Finally, on 20 December 1826, the Pendleton District was abolished and replaced by Anderson and Pickens Districts. Pickens District incorporated both the current Pickens and Oconee Counties. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendleton_District,_South_Carolina