Reaves, Ashur (1757 VA - 1845 OH)
Birth: 1757, Prince William County, Virginia
Birth Source: RW Pension Statement #S17649
Death: 31 Jul 1845, Greene County, Ohio
Death Source: RW Pension File #S17649
Spouse1: Diana Miller, 1780, Sandy Creek, Halifax County, Virginia
NarrativeOnly known children of Asher Reaves and Diana Miller:
- Catherine Reaves, b. 1784, m. Lemuel Cottrell on 7 Jun 1822, Greene County, Ohio
- Elizabeth Reaves, b. 1787, m. Hiram Cottrell
- George Reaves, b. 1794, m. Mary Lee on 26 Jul 1817, Greene County, Ohio
- Sarah Reaves, b. 1802, m. Levi Hadley on 7 Jun 1822, Greene County, Ohio
- Obadiah Reaves, b. 1803, m. Charlotte Moorman on 10 Jul 1820, Greene County, Ohio
- Susannah Reaves, b. 1809
- On 27 Dec 1771, George Reeves witnessed (signed with his mark) a deed from Luke Williams, carpenter, and Catherine his wife of Halifax County to James Ingram, gentlemen of Accomac County for 500 acres near Sandy Creek. Halifax County Deed Book 8, p. 295.
- On 18 Jun 1773, Luke Williams of Halifax County executed a deed of trust to John Lewis, Jr. of Halifax County for 986 acres adjoining William McDaniel, James Henry, Charles Wormack, George Reaves, Joseph Morrosson, George Curry. Halifax County, Virginia Deed Book 9, p. 202
- On 15 Oct 1778, Luke Williams of Halifax County deeded 100 acres on Court house branch to George Reaves of same county. Halifax County, Virginia Deed Book 11, p. 128-129.
After being discharged in Wilkes County, North Carolina, Asher returned to Halifax, Virginia where he married and remained for around 16 years according to his RW pension statement.
The following deed would appear to be by the George Reeves of Halifax, Virginia, selling his property in Wilkes NC when returning to Halifax:
9 Dec 1794 Deed - George Reeves deed to William Petty, Sr. for 200 acres on Little Lick Creek adjacent to the Moravian line. Wilkes County, North Carolina Deed Book B-1, p. 416
The George Reaves of the 1800 tax list is listed with 0 (zero) tithes which may indicate that he was over 60 and may have been Asher's father but could also have been an older brother. There is currently no way to determine whether the George Reeves of the early Halifax deeds is the same older individual who returned there before 1800 but it appears to be so.
In Halifax County VA, Deed Book 14 page 447, Recorded on 22 June 1789 Charles Powell and wife Sarah sold 150 acres on Licking Creek to Ashur Reaves for 100 pounds. This land was sold back to Anthony Powell, son of Charles, in the two following transactions:
- Book 16 page 23, Dated 31 Jan 1792 - Asher Reeves sold to Anthony Powell - 100 acres for 72 pounds on Licking Creek and Deep Bottom Creek - Bounded by Wilies line, John Dickies line, Frances Pellies (Pettys?), and Robert Stanfield line - Signed by William Watkins, William Wood, and Dickie
- Book 16 page 184, Dated 1 June 1793 - Asher Reeves sold to Anthony Powell - 50 acres for 28 pounds on Licking Creek bounded by Elmer Wiley, John Wiley, Faney Turner, and Anthony Powell - Note: This is surely the same land Charles Powell sold to Asher Reeves in 1789 and Reeves sold it in two parts to Anthony for the same 100 pounds he paid for it.
There are two other Reaves listed in the 1800 tax lists of Halifax County - George Reaves and an Elijah Reaves. Their identities are unknown but they may be of the same family.
It should be noted that the DNA of descendants of the known Reeve family of Prince William County, Virginia is a different lineage than descendants of Isaac Reeves of Wilkes County. DNA of the descendants of Asher and George Reaves would be a great help in resolving the identity of these individuals.
From the "History of Greene County (Ohio), Jefferson Township" - Asher Reeves, whose son George is yet a citizen of this township, located permanently near the site of what is now known as Blanetown.
∗ The residence of George Reves (Reeves) of Grayson VA was on the north side of the New River in the Peach Bottom Tract as early as 1767 which is approximately 40 miles from the area around the Wilkes Courthouse and the Yadkin River where George Reeves of Halifax County's property was located.
SourcesRW Pension Statement #S17649 of Asher Reaves
1790 Tax List of Halifax County VA
Deed Records of Halifax County VA
Deed and Tax records of Wilkes County, NC
History of Greene County (Ohio), Jefferson Township