Mother: Elizabeth Carraway
Birth: c 1764, Duplin County, North Carolina
Birth Source: Wayne County Probate Records of William Reaves
Death: bef May 1831, Wayne County, North Carolina
Death Source: Wayne County Probate Records
Spouse1: Anna Duncan, 13 Oct 1782, Duplin County, North Carolina
Spouse2: Mary Jernigan
Although all of the children of Adam Reaves are generally attributed to Anna Duncan who is sometimes even referred to as Mary Anna Duncan, it would appear than Anna died sometime shortly after 1820. From the 1830 census records Adam has remarried a younger wife 30-40 years old. The will of Elizabeth Musgrave of Wayne County (Book 5, Pg 455) names among her children, a daughter Mary Reaves. Mary may have been a widow with children since there are several children listed in the household in the 1830 census who are not named in the will:
- The 1800 census, the household consists of 1 Male 26-44, 3 Females 0-10, 2 Females 10-15 and one female 26-44.
- Adam Reaves is missing from the 1810 census for Wayne County, North Carolina.
- The 1820 census lists one male over 45 and one female over 45 only.
- The 1830 census shows one male 60-69, 1 male 0-5, 1 male 10-15, 2 females 5-10, 2 females 10-15 and 1 female 30-40.
Also, the 1880 census of Duplin County lists the mother of Adam Reaves, Jr., Mary, living in his household at age 80.
Adam Reaves' will stipulates that he desires the balance of his estate after the payment of his debts be equally divided between his four youngest children Smitha Reaves, Susanna Reaves, Adam Reaves and Edna Reaves. These children appear to be from his second marriage to Mary.
Children of Adam Reaves and Anna Duncan:
- Elizabeth Reaves, b. 10 Apr 1785, married James Herring
- Anna Reaves, married Herring
- Catey Reaves, married Bennett
- Polley Reaves, married Carraway
- Gracey or Lacey Reaves, married Newell
- Adam Reaves, Jr.
- Edna Reaves
- Smitha Reaves
- Susanna Reaves
1800 Census - Wayne County, North Carolina
1820 Census - Wayne County, North Carolina
1830 Census - Wayne County, North Carolina
Will of Elizabeth Musgrave, Wayne County Will Book 5, Pg 455
1831 Will of Adam Reaves