Mother: Mary ETHERTON
Birth Source: FreeBMD and Census
Death Source: CWGC
Alfred REEVES and his wife Mary (nee ETHERTON). FreeBMD notes his birth was registered during the first quarter of 1890 in the Horsham Registration District.
On the 1891 census Arthur along with his sister appears in the parental home at Cyder Mill in Warnham, Sussex. Arthur is 1 year old and his place of birth is given as Warnham.
By the time of the 1901 census Arthur appears as a boarder in the household of George LUFF and his wife Mary at Oakhurst Farm, Kirdford, Sussex. He is now 11 years old, again claims birth in Warnham and is a School Boy. See Research Note 1 below.
On the 1911 census he again appears in the household of George and Mary LUFF, now as a Lodger and named as John Reeves. He is 21 years old, his place of birth remains consistent as Warnham, Sussex and he is employed as a Farm Labourer.
It is not known when Arthur enlisted, but it is likely to have been around September 1914. See Research Note 3 below. The Medal Card for Arthur J Reeves, Private L/10519 of the Royal Sussex Regiment, indicates he arrived in France during October 1915
The death of Private L/10519 of the Royal Sussex Regiment is included in the GRO Index to War Deaths 1914-1921. Army (Other Ranks) page 3012 as Arthur J Reeves, year 1916, vol I.73, page 215.
The "UK, Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects, 1901-1929" entry for Private 10519 Arthur John Reeves shows him serving with the 9th Battalion, Royal Sussex Regiment. It confirms he was killed in action on 21 February 1916. The distribution of his effects contains four significant entries.
- May 1916 - Sister & one of (the) Legatees Ellen Mary
- Jun 1917 - Sister. Sole Legatee Ellen M.
Sole was subsequently struck through and "CO" written above it in a similar colour ink as the next entry
- Aug 1917 - Sister & Co-legatee Ellen M
- Oct 1919 - Sister & part Legatee Ellen M
(1) It is highly probable that both of Arthur's parents had died prior to 1901. FreeBMD has death registration entries which seem to match both his mother (Mary Reeves, 2q1895, Horsham Reg.Dist., age 32) and his father (Alfred Reeves, 4q1898, Horsham Reg.Dist., age 37). Both these entries need further research.
(2) Any possible relationship between Arthur Reeves and the LUFF family has yet to be investigated. It is however known that a Thomas REEVES married Hannah LUFF (1862, 2q, Petworth Reg.Dist.) and at the time of the 1881 census this couple were living at Church Cottage, Slinfold, Sussex. Their household included Elizabeth Luff, mother(-in-law) and Eliza ETHERTON, niece. RG11, Piece 1110, Folio 15 reverse, Page 24.
(3) Additional information about the Royal Sussex Regiment during WW1, including the 9th (Service) Battalion, can be found at The Long, Long Trail http://www.1914-1918.net/sussex.htm
(4) The CWGC website seemed to be alone in using "D" for Arthur's second initial. Their own Grave Registration and Panel List Documents show A J Reeves. The CWGC were advised (in mid July 2015) and promised to investigate. They have now (early August 2015) updated their entry to reflect Arthur's full name.
Death: GRO Index to War Deaths 1914-1921 Army (Other Ranks) page 3012
CWGC http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/1625739/REEVES, ARTHUR JOHN
1891 Census: RG12, Piece 0829, Folio 79 reverse, Page 14
1901 Census: RG13, Piece 0953, Folio 54 reverse, Page 12
1911 Census: RG14, Piece 05286, Reg.Dist. 82 (Petworth), Sub Dist. 1 (Petworth North), Enum.Dist. 5, Schedule 8
From Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914-1918 at FindMyPast
First name(s) ARTHUR JOHN Last name REEVES Service number L/10519 Rank PRIVATE Regiment Royal Sussex Regiment Battalion 9th Battalion. Birth place WAREHAM, SUSSEX Residence - Enlistment place CHICHESTER Death year 1916 Death day 21 Death month 2 Cause of death Killed in action Death place British Expeditionary Force Theatre of war Western European Theatre