Mother: Elizabeth mnu
Birth: c 1860
Birth Source: Census
Death: about 1920, probably Gloucestershire
Death Source: See Research Note 1 below.
Spouse1: Emily SMITH
Robert REEVES and his wife Elizabeth, whose maiden name was perhaps KIRTON. See Research Note 1 for Robert Reeves. In subsequent census returns Frank's place of birth is given as Heddington, which is indicative of his being the birth recorded during the fourth quarter of 1859 in the Calne Registration District.
The 1861 census shows Frank as a one year old, living in his parents home at Heddington, Wiltshire. His elder brother Groege & elder sister Eliza complete the household.
On the 1871 census, Frank again appeasr in the parental home at Heddington. He is now 11 years old and his occupation is shown as "Plough Boy". His elder brother George and younger sister Ann Jane complete the household.
At the time of the 1881 census, Frank is still living in his parents home at Heddington, along with his elder brother George. Frank is now 20 years old and working as an Agricultural Labourer.
The marriage of Frank Reeves and Emily SMITH is noted by FreeBMD as having been registered during the first quarter of 1890 in the Calne Registration District.
The known children of Frank Reeves and his wife Emily (nee Smith) are
- Henry George Reeves, b.reg. 1890
- Alfred George Reeves, b.reg. 1891
- Eunice Blanche Reeves, b.reg. 1893
- Ernest Walter Reeves, b.reg. 1894
- Arthur James Reeves, b.reg. 1896 and d.reg. 1907
- William Frank Reeves, b.reg. 1897
- Herbert Onslow Reeves, b.reg. 1900
- Samuel Isaac Reeves, b.reg. 1901
- John Edward Reeves, b.reg. 1904
- Daisy Maud Reeves, b.reg. 1907
- Ellen D Reeves, b.reg. 1910
On the 1891 census, Frank is shown as head of household, along with his wife Emily & son Henry in Heddington. However the same schedule for the same dwelling first lists Robert REEVES as head of household with his wife Elizabeth. Frank is shown as 30 years old and working as an agricultural labourer.
By the time of the 1901 census Frank, Emily & their seven oldest children are living at Clack Cottage, Henbury, Gloucestershire. Frank is working as a Cowman on Farm and is now 40 years old.
At the time of the 1911 census, Frank and Emily with their family are living in the Sea Mills area of Bristol, Gloucestershire. Frank records his age as 46 (sic) and that he is working as a Farm Labourer. For the whole household he has not noted their counties of birth, but rather the nearest major town. For himself he records his place of birth as what seems to be Leddington, Calne rather than the expected Heddington, Wiltshire. He notes he and Emily have been married for 21 years and that she has born 12 children, of whom 11 were then still living. The household is completed by eight of their children, with Henry & Alfred living elsewhere and Arthur having already died.
Frank's son Henry George Reeves died of wounds sustained during WW1 whilst serving with the Wiltshire Regiment in Iraq in May 1917 and by the time the records of The Commonwealth War Graves Commission were completed in the early 1920's Frank had also died.
(1) It has not been possible to identify the registration of Frank's death with certainty. There are two potential records of death in the Bristol Registration District which should be investigated further. The first death is recorded in the third quarter of 1915 of an individual aged 57 and the second in fourth quarter of 1923, age 62. On balance, it is felt more probable that the first death is that of Frank Reeves born in Bristol who was living in his son-in-law William Howell's household at 51 Thrissell Street, Bristol at the time of the 1911 census and that the second entry in 1923 is for our current subject.
Marriage: FreeBMD 1890, March quarter, Calne Registration District
1861 Census: RG9, Piece 1287, Folio 14 face, Page 9
1871 Census: RG10, Piece 1903, Folio 8 face, Page 9
1881 Census: RG11, Piece 2036, Folio 50 face, Page 7
1891 Census: RG12, Piece 1597, Folio 67 reverse, Page 6
1901 Census: RG13, Piece 2404, Folio 101 face, Page 7
1911 Census: RG14, Piece 15094, Reg.Dist. 319 (Bristol), Sub Dist. 9 (Westbury on Trym), Enum.Dist. 2, Schedule 138
1911 Census: Howell - RG14, Piece 15015, Reg.Dist. 319 (Bristol), Sub Dist. 6 (St Phillip & St Jacob), Enum.Dist. 18, Schedule 185