Mother: Elender or Eleanor
Birth: 26 Apr 1761, Sussex County, Virginia
Birth Source: Albemarle Parish Register
Death: 17 Nov 1839, Franklin County, North Carolina
Death Source: Revolutionary War Pension File
Spouse2: Mary Davis, 16 Oct 1799, Franklin County, North Carolina
The 1790 tax lists for Capt. Norris' District in Franklin County NC list Richard Reaves with 400 acres and 1 white poll.
In June of 1805, Richard Reaves purchased the 197½ acre plantation of Thomas Arrendell (Sr.?). The deed for this conveyance is recorded in Franklin County Deed Book 13 at Page 56.
He is listed in the court records of Franklin County as a juror in the minutes of September Court 1810 and again in September Court of 1811. As Richard Reaves, Sr. he is among the persons mentioned in Franklin County Will Book G, pg 655 regarding the October 1821 inventory and sale of the estate of Thomas Arrendell, Jr.
No will or other records have been found in Franklin County NC to prove the children of Richard Rives and none are named in his Revolutionary War pension file. From census records it is apparent that he had at least 5 daughters and 3 sons with an unknown wife who was deceased by 1799 when he married Mary Davis.
Franklin County Census Records for Richard Rives (Reeves):
- 1790 Census - 1 Male over 16 Yrs, 3 Males under 16 Yrs, 4 Females
- 1800 Census - 1 Male 26-44, 1 Male 15-20, 1 Male 10-15; 1 Female 26-44, 1 Female 10-15, 3 Females 0-10
- 1810 Census - 3 Males 0-10, 1 Male 10-15, 1 Male 15-25, 1 Male over 45 yrs; 1 Female 0-10, 1 Female 26-44.
- The 1820 census for Franklin County NC is not extant.
- 1830 Census - 2 Males 10-15, 2 Males 20-30, 1 Male 60-70; 1 Female 10-15, 1 Female 20-30, 1 Female 50-60
NOTE: THE CHILDREN LISTED ARE BASED UPON CONJECTURE AND ARE LISTED HERE DUE TO PROXIMITY TO THE FRANKLIN COUNTY AREA AND THE AGES OF CHILDREN AS INDICATED IN CENSUS RECORDS.
PROBABLE children of Richard Rives and Unknown wife:
- Penelope Caroline "Penny" Reeves, b. 1779, m1. John Woodward, m2. Reuben Davis
- Anne Reeves, b. 1781, m. William Jeffreys
- Richard Reeves
- William Reeves, b. 1789
- Temperance "Tempy" Reeves, b. 1790, m. Kindred Strickland
- Mary "Polly" Reeves, b. 1792, m. Kenuel Strickland
PROBABLE children of Richard Rives and Mary Davis:
- Peter Reeves, b. 1800-1810
- Allen Reeves, b. 1808
- Lucy Reeves, b. 1810, m. Christopher Ing
- Mildred Reeves, b. 1815
Richard Rives or Reaves and his unidentified first wife who are recorded under the age of 10 in the 1790 census, it may be possible that Hudson and Jonathan Reeves recorded in the 1820 census of Johnston County could be those sons. Hudson and Jonathan Reaves were about the same age, i.e. born 1776-1794 and both appeared in Johnston County NC which is adjoining to Franklin County on the 1820 census. Neither of those oldest sons of Richard Reaves have ever been identified.
1800 Census - Franklin County, North Carolina
1810 Census - Franklin County, North Carolina
1830 Census - Franklin County, North Carolina
The Revolutionary War pension statement (#W7133) of Richard Reeves