Death: before June 1841
Spouse1: Jane RIDDER
NB This individual and his family seems to have a particularly fluid surname and is variously recorded as Rives, Rivers and Reeves.
As William RIVES he married Jane RIDDER on 20 November 1797 at the Parish Church of St Mary, South Stoneham, Hampshire.
The probable children of William and Jane are as follows
- Thomas, baptism on 1 November 1799 recorded as RIVES (FamilySearch and HGS)
- Charles, baptism on 2 May 1802 recorded as RIVES (FamilySearch and HGS)
- William, baptised on 9 March 1806 recorded as REEVES (FamilySearch and HGS)
- Elizabeth, baptised on 28 August 1808 recorded as RIVES (FamilySearch and HGS) or as REVIS (FamilySearch)
- Benjamin, baptised on 10 July 1814 recorded as RIVERS (FamilySearch and HGS)
- Ann Maria, baptised 23 June 1816 recorded as REEVES (FamilySearch and HGS)
It is also possible that Richard Reeves, born about 1811/12, is a son of this couple. On the 1841 census his household is listed immediately prior to Jane and Benjamin, who (based on ages) are presumed to be mother and son.
Also from the same census entry is it presumed that William died prior to 7 June 1841. Jane is listed as the first member of the household and she is shown as being of "Independent Means".
Jane's age is given as 66 on the 1841 census. If she and William were of similar ages, then that would point to this William's birth being around 1775 (perhaps +5 or -10 years).
1841 Census: HO107, Piece 0402, Book 19, Folio 13 face, Page 20