Before the boundary between the two Carolinas was fixed in 1772, the northern portion of the York County was part of Bladen County, North Carolina, and in 1750 it was included in the newly created Anson County; the first land grants and deeds for the region were issued in Anson. In 1762 Mecklenburg County, was formed from western Anson County and included present-day northern York County. Five years later, the area became part of Tryon County, which comprised all of North Carolina west of the Catawba River and south of Rowan County. This area would remain a part of Tryon County until 1772, when the boundary between North and South Carolina was finally established.
The first European settlers in the Carolina Piedmont, traditionally called the Upcountry, were Scots-Irish Presbyterians. Rising rent and land prices in Pennsylvania drove them southward down the Great Wagon Road, and they began arriving in the Upcountry west of the Catawba River during the 1740s and settled in present-day York County in the 1750s.
After its transfer to South Carolina in 1772, much of the area was known as the New Acquisition. In 1785, York County was one of the original counties in the newly created South Carolina, and its boundaries remained unchanged until 1897...
Gaston, Mecklenburg and Cleveland in additional to Lancaster, Chester, Union and Cherokee in South Carolina.