Gibson Co., TN
HistoryThe county was established in 1823. It is named for Colonel John H. Gibson, a Bedford County native who fought in the War of 1812 and the Creek Wars. He died in 1823, the year that the county was formed.
The first white settlement was made in 1819 by Thomas Fite and his brother-in-law John Spencer and James F. Randolph. They built the first house on the Little North Fork of the Forked Deer, about 8 miles east of Trenton. Luke Biggs located about four miles northeast of Trenton. In the spring, David Crockett settled a short distance northeast of Rutherford. Population within the region reached 500 in 1823; Congressman David Crockett introduced the bill to form Gibson County. Source: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tngibson/