The first white settlement was made in 1819 by Thomas Fite and his brother-in-law John Spencer and James F. Randolph. They built the first house on the Little North Fork of the Forked Deer, about 8 miles east of Trenton. Luke Biggs located about four miles northeast of Trenton. In the spring, David Crockett settled a short distance northeast of Rutherford. Population within the region reached 500 in 1823; Congressman David Crockett introduced the bill to form Gibson County. Source: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tngibson/
Weakley to the northeast, Carroll on the east, Madison in the south, Crockett to the southwest, Dyer on the west and Obion in the northwest.