Heard County, GA
HistoryHeard County was created in 1830 from Carroll, Coweta and Troup counties. It was named for Stephen Heard, an influential patriot of the American Revolution, a planter, and a governor of Georgia from 1780 to 1781. The land now encompassed by Heard County was originally held by Creek Indians, who lost it at the Treaty of Indian Springs in 1825. The first white inhabitants arrived soon after the signing of the treaty and acquired most of their property by state-run land lotteries. Most of the new settlers came from other parts of Georgia in the search for better land.
Source: New Georgia Encyclopedia